Warm, spicy, ever so cheesy, and savoury, this cornbread is delicious by itself or accompanied by a steamy bowl of soup.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup Baklouti Chili Olive Oil
- 8 ounces sharp grated Cheddar, 2 ounces reserved
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions, +2 tablespoons reserved
- 2 tablespoons (1 small pepper) seeded finely diced fresh Anaheim pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 9 inch baking pan with Baklouti Olive Oil.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, honey, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and Baklouti Olive Oil.
- With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry.
- Mix in the grated Cheddar, scallions and Anaheim peppers.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the reserved grated Cheddar and extra chopped scallions
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.