I chose to use a Portugal Cobrancosa for this application although any Ultra Premium EVOO would work. With it’s grassy-herbaceousness, apple peel center, and healthy peppery finish, it served to cut the richness of the ricotta and provide an interesting counterbalance.
A clove of garlic, squeeze of lemon and sprig of basil later, the spread came together magnificently. I toasted some bread and liberally slathered it with the spread. However, it would would be equally delicious as a mayonnaise replacement, a dip for crudites, or spread fresh grilled salmon.
- 1 1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Ultra Premium, ultra fresh Portugal Cobrancoso EVOO
- Five inch sprig of fresh basil, washed and dried
- 1 clove fresh garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- Place the ingredients inside the bowl of a food processor or blender and process until creamy and smooth in consistency.
- Adjust seasoning and store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to three days.